Better Pictures & White Bean Artichoke Dip


Noticed my pictures getting better lately? I'm not bragging, just kind of stating the obvious. The reason: my kitchen isn't a dark cave anymore + I have outdoor space. Natural light! It's so much easier to take good pictures when you have natural light. I struggled for years to take good pictures for a few reasons. Let me take you through my journey. 

2011 - 2012: Pictures on an iPhone 4 or a snap and shoot camera from college. Boo. 
2012 - 2013: New DSLR camera, yay! Literally no clue how to use it.
2014 - 2015: Knew what I was doing wrong, but had no access to natural light. No photo editing.
2016: I have a good camera and lens. Have tons of natural light to work with at my new house. And... I started using some editing software. Blair from The Fox & She wrote an article last year about good, affordable editing software and I tried it out. Its crazy how much better edited pictures look... duh. Thanks for that Blair!
2016 - beyond: Food styling progress. Better pictures. Update my blog to a new platform. Someday...

So, if you're a professional photographer you probably think my pictures are shit. I'm sure they are. But, 5 years later I'm glad to say they aren't horendous and I feel proud of them! Here's to a continued and evolving journey of my favorite hobby. Food blogging.








White Bean Artichoke Dip
makes enough for a party

15.5 oz can cannellini beans (drained)
14 oz can artichoke hearts (drained, rough chop)
2 tbsp tahini
1 lemon (juice + 1/2 zest)
1 clove garlic (whole)
1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper

for dipping
pita crackers/chips
warm pita bread
fresh veggies

In a food processor, add the cannellini beans, tahini and garlic clove. Pulse until smooth, for 3-4 minutes. Scrape down the sides as necessary (with the blade off obviously).

In a medium mixing bowl, add chopped artichoke hearts, juice from a whole lemon and half the zest, Greek yogurt, olive oil, and cayenne pepper. Pour in the cannellini bean mix. Mix everything to combine, taste, and add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve in a serving bowl with a drizzle of olive oil on top and some freshly grated pepper. I served mine with my favorite pita crackers from Trader Joes. You could also serve with fresh veggies like carrots and cucumbers, or warm pita bread.


Comments

Popular Posts