The Ugliest, Delicious Recipe


Okay, this is definitely one of the ugliest recipes I've ever posted. I actually didn't plan on posting this recipe (hence the ugly picture) because it was just something I pulled together, but it was so delicious I needed to write it down. 

I'm a first time "zoodler" over here, and I think I like it. My sister got me a spiralizer for Christmas and it's kind of amazing. Nothing beats real pasta, obviously, but there's a Miami trip in the near future I'm prepping for. 

My sister and I are taking our engaged sister, Eileen, on a girls trip to Miami for a pre-Bachelorette party. We decided to let my mom come because she's a girl, and we kind of like her. So, zoodles for the next few weeks!

Andouille & Brussels Sprout Sauce over Zoodles
makes 3-4 servings

2 zucchini (spiralized) - or sub in regular pasta
1/2 lb Brussels sprouts (shaved or thinly sliced)
1 lb andouille sausage (raw, casing removed) 
1 yellow onion (diced)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup grated hard cheese (Parmesan/Gouda/Romano)
salt and pepper
olive oil

If you are using "zoodles" make those first. If you have a spiralizer you know it's super easy.  Set them aside until the sauce is almost ready. 

In a large saute pan, get some olive oil heating over medium heat. Drop in the Andouille, with the casing removed. As a reminder, this should be raw sausage, not previously smoked or cooked. Cook the sausage, breaking it up into bite size pieces for about 7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside. Drain some of the fat if there is too much. 

Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes before adding the shaved Brussels sprouts. Add Brussels sprouts with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat the sprouts in oil and let cook for 5 minutes, until browning up a little bit. 

Now add the white wine and let reduce by half, about 3 minutes. Next, add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes. 

In the mean time, cook noodles or zoodles. If cooking zoodles, only cook for 2 minutes in salted water. Drain and add noodles directly to the sauce. Add the grated cheese and toss everything to combine.


Comments

Popular Posts