Trip to Poland + Tomatillo Chicken Soup


First let me start by saying this soup recipe is honestly one of my all time favorites. I love any type of Mexican dish that comes with salsa verde, tomatillo sauce, green sauce, you name it. So when I decided I wanted to make a soup one Sunday afternoon, I knew I had to incorporate that yummy green sauce.

I love making soups and actually think it's probably my specialty (people always ask me what it is). I recently learned at a wedding shower my aunt and cousins threw me this past weekend, that soup is Brian's favorite thing I make. After learning that I naturally had to make one for him!

Okay, so on to Poland. I'm off to Poland on Monday for work. I'll be in Krakow and I'm so excited to see it. I've heard all good things about the food and city.  Pierogis, sausages, mustards. Yum. I'm also going to be about an hour away from Auschwitz which I will likely go to, to pay my respects and learn more about such a chilling part of recent history. 

I'll definitely be documenting my trip in Poland, so stay tuned via Instagram!

P.S. Brian and I are doing the Napa triathlon this weekend! I'm just doing the sprint but I'm so scared to jump in the water! We're also under the 4 month mark until the wedding. OMG!

Tomatillo Chicken Soup
makes 1 big pot (6-8 servings)

1 lb ground chicken or boneless skinless chicken breasts
10 - 12 tomatillos (paper removed and rinsed)
1 yellow onion (diced)
7 cloves garlic (sliced)
1 poblano
1 can mild or hot green chilies
3 tsp cumin
3 tsp oregano
3 tsp green chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 lime (juice)
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper
olive oil

for the toppings
fresh cilantro
queso fresco
non fat Greek yogurt
red onion (diced)
red cabbage (shaved on mandolin)
lime slices
avocado cubes

You're going to multitask to begin. Get three things going around the same time. 

Turn on your broiler. Place tomatillos on foil lined baking sheet and pop under the broiler. Let one side char for about 4 minutes, then flip over and let the other side char for another 4. Remove from broiler and set to rest.

As tomatillos char, char the poblano on a gas burner or pop into the over under the broiler with the tomatillos. Let all sides char. Let cool once charred, then remove stem and most seeds before dicing up.

As tomatillos and poblano char, heat a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat and add olive oil. Drop in ground chicken or chicken breast and add 1 tsp cumin, oregano, green chili powder and 1/2 tsp coriander. Add some salt and pepper as well. Let cook for about 7 minutes until browned a bit. It may not be entirely cooked through, but that's okay. Remove to a plate.

Lower heat to medium and add a bit more olive oil. Add onion and garlic, with 1 tsp cumin, oregano, green chili powder and 1/2 tsp coriander. Let cook for 5 minutes. Add in diced poblano and can of chilies. Let cook for another 3 minutes. 

Add the whole charred tomatillos with their skin and all juices. Crush a little bit with your cooking utensil and mix everything to combine. Add salt and pepper. Add the juice of 1 whole lime.

Add all chicken broth with remaining cumin, oregano, chili powder and coriander. Add an extra dash of salt. Bring to a boil. Once boiling lower heat, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, puree with an immersion blender until mostly smooth. Add chicken back in and let simmer for 20 minutes over low heat. If using chicken breast, let simmer for 45 minutes until chicken is super tender. 

Serve in a bowl with lots of fresh cilantro, cabbage, Greek yogurt, onions, lime juice, avocados and queso fresco. Feel free to leave anything out, or add anything else that sounds yummy.



Comments

Popular Posts