Chicken Tikka Masala Kebabs with Cucumber Yogurt Dip


I love a good Indian dish. Chicago has some great Indian restaurants and I sure do miss them. I haven't found a ton of great Indian spots in the city of San Francisco though. I'm sure they exist, or at least exist somewhere in the Bay Area, but I'm still searching.


So the other night I was craving some Indian, but since I'm watching what I eat these days (wedding's in 5 months people), I decided to make my own, healthy version. I can't really claim that this is authentic Indian, but used an Indian spice mix to make kebabs. The dish is super quick to make, and really healthy! It will be a new weeknight staple at my house!

Chicken Tikka Masala Kebabs with Cucumber Yogurt Dipping Sauce
makes about 6 kebabs

1 - 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 - 2 tbsp chicken tikka masala spice blend
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on spice tolerance)
1/2 lemon (juice)
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

for the dipping sauce
1/4 cup grated cucumber (on box grater or microplane)
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 lemon (juice)
1 tsp ground coriander

Start by cutting up the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes, approximately. Coat the cubes in Tikka Masala spices, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Skewer onto wooden skewers, about 5-6 pieces per skewer. 

Crank up a grill pan to medium high heat. You want the chicken to sizzle when it hits the pan. Drop the skewers onto the pan, and let brown on all sides. It will take somewhere between 12-15 minutes. 

As the skewers cook, make the dipping sauce. Combine the grated cucumber, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, coriander and salt in a mixing bowl. Let sit until chicken is ready.


Comments

Popular Posts