Spicy Coconut Curry Shrimp


I've not yet totally embraced most Asian cuisines. So many ingredients I'm still pretty unfamiliar with. A couple months ago I went head first into Szechuan cuisine, and I'm still cooking my way through some recipes; learning the art of dark soy sauce and chili oil. 

This recipe is testing out my curry cooking skills. I don't really think any Asian country would claim this dish as their own, but I'm here to say it's worth a try. Not only was this dish ready in about 25 minutes, but it was also full of flavor and heat. I was feeling like being real skinny this week with summer in full swing, so I served the dish as a soup. It could also easily be poured over rice or rice noodles to make it a bit more hearty.

Spicy Coconut Curry Shrimp
makes 3-4 servings

1 - 1.5 lbs shrimp (shell on, cleaned)
5 cloves garlic (minced)
1 medium yellow onion (diced)
1/2 inch ginger (peeled and minced or grated)
1 jalapeno
1 cup  yellow cherry tomatoes
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
2 cup low sodium chicken or fish broth
1/2 tbsp hot curry powder (or regular curry powder)
1/4 tsp turmeric
lime wedges
cooked white rice or rice noodles (optional)
s&p
vegetable oil

I used frozen shrimp for this recipe, simply because I had them. They worked well in this dish, but fresh shrimp would obviously be even better.

In a deep saute pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Let cook for 7- 8 minutes, being careful not to let anything burn. Add jalapeno and cook for additional 5 minutes.

Add broth and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper. let simmer for 10 minutes. 

Add the shrimp at the very end. Cover them in the simmering liquid and let cook until shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes. 

If you're feeling skinny, serve simply as soup with a slice of lime. If you're in the mood for a yummy feast, serve over white rice or rice noodles. Yum! How easy was that?

Comments

Popular Posts