Pretzel Rolls are Good with Everything...


Seriously though. Pretzel rolls are good with everything. They are especially good with a fried egg, some cheese, and toasted in some butter like a delicious grilled cheese sammy.

This little devil came about when the boyfriend and I were suffering in hangover land one morning. Luckily, we had visited the market the morning before and I had a fridge full of tasty options. Bennison's Bakery at the Green City Market seriously has the best bread in Chicago. I can never leave without a loaf. The most important option being that beautiful pretzel loaf. You see, when I'm dragging the morning after a few too many drinks, I need something delicious. Greasy, salty, sweet, crunchy and bad for me. For that matter, I need the same exact thing the night before when I come home and raid the pantry. Unlike my boyfriend who thinks almonds and fruit are good late night food.... "No, Brian. I don't want raw almonds. I want a pizza." You see what I put up with?

Anyways, I didn't realize the masterpiece I was putting together when piled this breakfast sandwich up. The pretzel bread is sweet and salty (its a pretzel, duh), and its toasted so you have a nice crunchy bite. The smoked Gouda on the egg almost tricks you into believing theres some smokey bacon in there.... but its just a trick. If you don't have pretzel rolls around, use an everything bagel.

Fried Egg with Smoked Gouda on a Pretzel Roll
(makes 2 sandwiches)

2 large eggs (from your local farmer if you can!)
1/2 cup smoked Gouda (grated)
1 loaf prezel bread (or 2 pretzel rolls)
4 tbsp unsalted butter
hot sauce (to taste)
salt and pepper

 Heat large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Melt 2 tbsp butter in the pan. Crack the eggs into the pan and salt and pepper. Cook on one side for 3 minutes or until the egg white begins to get a bit brown and crispy from the butter.

Carefully flip the egg over, as to not break the yolk! Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs. Remove pan from heat (but keep the burner on). Cover the eggs with a lid so the cheese melts, but the yolks stay a little runny. Keep covered for about 2 minutes.

Cut your pretzel roll in half and butter both sides of the bread (the side that will go down on the grill). Put the skillet back on the heat. Put the egg in between the slices of pretzely heaven and throw it back in the skillet. Cook both sides of the roll, for about 2 minutes each. The bread should crisp up a bit.

Splash your favorite hot sauce on it and voila, a real treat.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts