Chizakaya Chicago!


Using the '38 Essential Chicago Restaurants' list from the folks at Eater, I picked out Chizakaya to test out on Friday night (a little date night for the BF and me). This is a self proclaimed 'Japanese Pub', that serves up all sorts of delicious tapas-style Japanese food.


The winning menu item for us was the House ramen with braised pork, slow poached egg and fish balls. It was so buttery and flavorful. I frequently ate Japanese-style ramen while working in Seoul, and this was just as good, if not better. Give it a try if you go, you won't regret it.

We also tested out some smaller plates to start the night out. We got the Wagyu Beef and Chicken Gizzard skewers. Now, I've tried lots of weird foods in my adventures around the world, but gizzard, come on. You know the consistency of water chestnuts? That's what these feel like in your mouth. Not a fan. But the beef skewers were lovely.

The fried anchovy wrapped quail egg with tabouli was an interesting combination of flavors and textures. The tabouli was a nice compliment to the presentation of the dish, but pretty bland. The actual fried anchovy egg itself was delicious though. The egg was still creamy on the inside with a nice crust.


So in conculsion, I will definitely go back for the ramen and sake. But that's all. And I will go back, because I love ramen.

Comments

Popular Posts